Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Skirt to Dress Re-Fashion!!

First i want to say Welcome and Thanks to all my new followers and for everyone that has left me such sweet comments! I honestly feel like i have made SO many amazing friends,which makes blogging so worth it! I  can't thank you enough!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So are you ready to start sewing? ready for a really easy re-fashion? This project has been on my mind for so long and i finally did it -once again successfully during the munchkin's nap time!



Supplies:
A shirt of your child's that is to small
One of your old skirts (and believe me this skirt has been screaming to be turned into a cute dress!)


First try the shirt on your little one to see where you'd like the empire waist to hit,then add 1/2 an inch for the seam allowance.

Then you'll need to decide how long you’d like the dress to be and cut off enough of the skirt to make the dress long enough and another 1/2 inch for a seam allowance,then cut.


Then you will sew a long gathering stitch - i did it a 1/4 inch from the top of the skirt all the way around.Leave long threads to pull so that you can gather the skirt.

Gather until the length is the same as the end of the shirt.

Place the Skirt and the shirt right sides together.

Pin and then sew 1/2 inch down from the top.

Turn right side out and wa-la! look what you made! come on how easy was that?!

This next step is totally optional
If you'd like to make a tie to go around the dress, then cut long strips from the remaining fabric an inch or 2 wide.

Next i ironed the piece in half,see the line?

Then fold in fabric from top and bottom (as pictured) to the middle line and iron

Then fold it in half again and iron.

Next place and pin your tie, i put pins where i wanted to sew,you'll be sewing the top and bottom of the tie. Go ahead and sew the tie down just across the front of the dress. 
And then your done!

After finishing I decided to make the dress a little more girly so i made some ruffles by cutting 3 long strips from the remaining part of the shirt(remember that part you saved earlier?) Then i stitched a long gathering stitch across the top of those pieces,gathered and placed them where i wanted around the neckline and sewed them down one at a time.
Ruffles really does give it that perfect touch!

Last but not least don't forget to enjoy watching your girl twirl,spin and love what you made!
(this picture was taken before i decided to do ruffles but it's still cute!)


30 comments :

  1. How cute! I love the combination of the colors.

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a girly girl. I love how she enjoys posing for you with her new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her posing too! She is just so adorable. The dress is super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just darling!!! I really need to learn to sew.
    Thanks for the follow...following you now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute!! and what a cute little model to!
    I found your blog via Ladybird Ln.. I am in love with the Cinderella dress and wondering just how ridiculous it would be to make one for myself?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable dress! And model :) I am visiting from Ladybird Ln. It has been nice to 'meet' you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! I love the tie around the middle.
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful refashion! I love the ruffles and the tie, it really finishes it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you are really talented! I'm asking for a sewing machine for Christmas because I really want to be able to start sewing... although this looks a little advanced for me. I'll have to start with straight lines first :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this is just too cute for words! I love a good refashion! New follower, love the blog! ~Andrea
    http://www.andreasattic-andrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jenn
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Great idea too! Thanks for sharing.

    www.sewdivertimento.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute little skirt and a great tutorial. The tie makes it sit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE IT! Darling dress and the ruffles add the perfect touch!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! She looks adorable! Thanks for sharing this at What's In The Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is the perfect model! The dress is so cute and such a good way to use skirts that you don't want to get rid of yet and have cute patterns. love it! i need to get a sewing machine and make some of your tutorials! You should do one for pants. I know pants aren't hard but step by step would be great 'cause they can be a little tricky sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, it looks awesome! The ruffles really do give it that extra flair, love it! Thanks for sharing it with us at our linky party! We are so impressed with your awesomeness, that we are going to feature this tomorrow on our blog! Stop by, grab a button and check it out :)
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love refashioning things!! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely darling!!

    New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello there,
    I am visiting after seeing this on Mommy by Day and crafter by night blog. I think this dress is super cute! Great tute! Wish had a dughter!
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love this tutorial... Thank you for sharing. I am gunna have to try this one out. Your daughter looks so cute in her new dress. I am your newest follower and would love for you to FB!
    Chamorritamom
    www.alwaystrying2try.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous idea. It turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ..what a nice dress..
    ..i like the design and i like the way you recycled it..

    *_* maica *_* Buy and Sell

    ReplyDelete
  25. it looks like the same to the first one..
    but its cute !!

    - nina,

    Properties Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out great. I think the ruffles are just what it needed. I found your blog while brousing old link parties over at Sugar Bee Crafts. I love your blog and I'm excited to be a new follower.
    www.craftybiggers.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. 야설

    ReplyDelete
  28. Walker Yellowstone Jacket can be worn as a dress or skirt, making it a versatile and stylish piece for any closet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent article post. I really love it. I hope in future you share more good updates. Keep it up. Now it's time to avail vacuum sealer bags for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...